Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fish Sandwiches :(

I'd like to make a brief comment about fish sandwiches. Because they are everywhere(!!!) right now and I know why. So do you. But the thing is, I just don't like fish sandwiches.
I like an occasional fish. But not on a bun. And I find it disturbing when every restaurant I drive past is advertising fish sandwiches.
And when I say every restaurant, I mean every restaurant. Even the ones that don't even come close to falling under the category of serving fish.

Excuse the pun but I find it fishy when a restaurant that normally doesn't include fish sandwiches on their menu suddenly becomes a fish sandwich emporium of sorts.
Not that I have anything against fish sandwich emporiums, it's just that fish isn't something I find myself daydreaming about day in and day out.

It use to just be fish fish fish I'd see around this time of year, but then suddenly something somewhere sparked through the restaurant chain of command that if you stick a fish between two slices of bread it would bring in so much money everyone in a corner office could buy a yacht.

I can only imagine there must be a collective groan in the ocean around this time each year.
Like when Alderaan got toasted in Star Wars. Although I don't think Obi-Wan was Catholic.

These fish sandwiches are even invading my coupons, completely disregarding my intense need for discounted non-fish fast food.

This kind of fish-related bullying is NOT encouraging me to go out and eat a fish sandwich.
It IS encouraging me to demand justice and/or curl myself up into a little lump of flesh and cry over my lack of good Arby's coupons.
I mean, it's called 'fast food'. Not 'fast' food. I don't think this is really doing anyone but the restaurant chains a favor. Next year we'll probably see ads for fishsicles at Dairy Queen.

Anyway, again I like an occasional fish from time to time. I figure only 2 or 3 times a year do I actually insert a fish product into my mouth. Usually said fish product comes precooked and in a fancy cardboard coffin box emblazoned with either an image of a husky fisherman or a fish that doesn't look as if it has any clue that it's posing for obituary photos.   
And it's fine. I eat it, say "Thank you, dear. That was very good." and move on with my life.
I don't say something like, "Honey, this fried fish isn't protruding out from two bun halves, so therefor I demand you repair this travesty before I completely lose my marbles and end up on the 6 o'clock news." 
Regardless of what you think of me by now this just simply isn't how I operate.

I'm sure that, by some strange cosmic phenomenon that would probably include flying platypus and the moon giving birth to twins, it ever came about that I happened to have an intense craving for such an item, this would most certainly happen:


I know it would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment